Tuesday, January 25, 2011

blog two

Though I am one of the few who have not received my own copy of the book in the mail, I thought it would be good to comment on what we discussed in class in terms of the readings.

Clearly, one of the most important things from the chapter we discussed in class was Weinberg's idea of the three orders.  The author touched on these orders, and explained them using various examples.  I have to admit that I was a little confused when I first read the chapter online, but gained more of an understanding when we were asked to order books.

The books we were given could be placed in various orders; alphabetical, subject matter, and so forth.  It makes one recognize just how many orders we have for the various things in our life.

To understand the idea of ordering things further, we came up with examples for Weinberger’s original ideas.  The first order can describe the physical location of objects, such as clothes hanging in a closet.  The second is the separation between the object itself and the thing organizing the object.  An example of this could be a “tag” to take place of or represent something.  The third order states that there is no need for physical objected related to one identifier. 

Though I cannot identify myself as a truly organized person, there are definitely aspects of my life that I need to have some sort of organization or order.  For me, color-coding my closet is a must.  I try to group my hanging clothes into colors, and attempt to transition between the colors (i.e. black - grey - white).  For some reason, I get a sense of happiness when I open up my closet door and see the colors perfectly separated and hanging so beautifully.  This order also allows me to keep my clothes organized so I know where things are.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, don't ever let me assign blog comments again while on cold medicine. I totally messed up and forgot to have a group comment on yours (and doubled on group 4, sigh..). Anyhow...

    Nice attempt, even w/out the readings. Fyi, you can find the first few Chapters online http://www.everythingismiscellaneous.com/samples/ I'm glad the book ordering helped a bit. The 3rd order, in particular, is the most difficult to explain, yet in many ways is the most common to all of us enmeshed w/ digital work.

    When you do the reading, you might want to just comment here in a way that describes, in particular, the orders of order. I think this will be useful to you in the long run.

    ReplyDelete