Monday, February 7, 2011

blog five

In David Weinberger’s Everything is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder, the author relies on German philosopher Heidegger to provide a certain point of information.  The author states, “the meaning of a particular thing is enabled by the web of implicit meanings we call the world” (170).  I believe that what Weinberger meant by this was that the meanings of things are defined by are made up of the parts that surround it.  The sum of the parts equal the whole, and this is particularly true when it comes to context.

To better understand this (and to better clarify my response to Weinberger), it is probably best to give an example of what I mean by this.  For example, a song is made up of several notes, verses, etc.  If a person were to be given one word from the song, they might not know what it means or they might think that the word came from a different contextual background.  Perhaps when the person is given a line within the song they could figure it out, but that is depending on the person.  Now let’s say that the person was given all of the lyrics to the song, in which all of the words and lines given would be in their proper and intended context.  Without providing enough information, certain things can have either different meanings or their meanings can be lost.

This idea, given by Weinberger (with the help of Heidegger) has to do with the third order because of the ways in which an object, for example, can have many meanings or terms associated with it.  Weinberger gives the example of a hammer, and how it can be associated with several categories and grouped with certain orders.  Another example of this could be a frame.  A frame could be grouped into categories such as metal frames, white frames, door frames, and so forth.  With various orders within just one object, this is a good example when recalling the third order. 

The images I selected to portray my favorite song, "Breathe Me" by Sia, are all aspects of my life that I correlate with the lyrics of this song.  The song itself is one that makes me feel really inspired and allows me to take a look at the things I cherish most.  I also drew out out a portion of this image, because an implicit meaning is that this song can help me with my creativity and I listen to it a lot when I am drawing, painting, etc.

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you applied the concept to music with the notes and verses. The way each person's background alters their perception of songs is extremely interesting to me, there's a number of songs I don't understand the first time I listen through but then reading the lyrics and putting them in specific contexts makes all the difference.

    I don't have the book in front of me, but did Weinberger use the hammer of to show how it can be placed in multiple categories or did he just show how we need to know the use of a hammer (hitting nails) before we can understand what a hammer itself is? (I'm also not sure if my question makes sense.)

    I really like your picture, especially the fact that you drew part of it yourself, I think that adds a lot about who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that music also helps me when I'm doing homework or art. Part of it plays in with this web of implicit since we tend to associate things with our music. The third order allows us to have all these different associations with one thing so that everyone can have a link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you described how the implicit can work. I never quite looked at it like a partial existence, that is, when you take all but a little away.

    The word 'Love' appears everywhere in music, and not just in one category. For me, it would take a line (and probably Google) to figure out where it belongs. It may not even be a love song at all, because the concept is so universal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job here. Tatiana's question about the hammer is an important one, so just make sure to have that point clear in your mind before the midterms. Nice example. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete